Do you have any of the following problems? If you check at least seven of the following items and it is several months after you have experienced a catastrophic event, it is advisable to have a professional consultation to determine if therapy for PTSD is indicated.
1. I have strong physical sensations (e.g., sweating, rapid heart beat) when I think about the event.
2. I try to avoid having upsetting thoughts or having contact with things or places associated with the event.
3. My feelings are numb and I have difficulty experiencing normal pleasure and happiness.
4. I am always watchful to make sure I don’t experience the same event again.
5. I have feelings of guilt associated with the traumatic event.
6. I have the feeling of being unreal or that the world is unreal.
7. I feel alienated or isolated from others.
8. I get irritated or angry a lot.
9. I have flashbacks of the event (feeling like the past event is happening all over again in the present).
10. I have trouble falling asleep or staying asleep because memories of the event come into my mind.
11. I have memory difficulties and trouble concentrating these days.
12. I am easily startled when I hear a loud noise or when danger seems imminent.
13. I have been relying increasingly on alcohol or drugs to get through the day.
Baya Mebarek, Psy.D., LMFT