Behavioral patterns and distorted thinking often are the big culprits behind procrastination.
Examples of distorted thinking can include:
• anxiety or fear of failure
• perfectionism and unrealistic expectations
• self-defeating beliefs or excuses
• negative self-thoughts/talks/ For example “I’m not smart enough”
• underestimating the time necessary to complete a task
• overestimating time available to complete a task
• reliance on feeling that motivation will come in the future
Undesirable patterns of behavior also can reinforce procrastination. Unfortunately, these patterns often are self-perpetuating. They include poor time management skills and lack of momentum needed to start and finish a task. Outside factors, such as family problems or difficulty concentrating because of a distracting or unorganized environment, can play a role, too.
Some causes of procrastination may be beyond our control. But with practice, you can positively change many of them.
Dr. Baya Mebarek, Psy.D., LMFT
San Diego Couples and Family Therapy serves the surrounding areas of Sorrento Valley Road as La Jolla, UTC San Diego, Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe, Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Penasquitos, Poway, University City and Escondido.