Are you continually in conflicts with your spouse, your children, your boss and/or your colleagues? Do you believe that there’s a problem but it’s the other person’s fault? Have you been able to see your part in the problem? Are you resisting the possibility that you might have or you are contributing to the problem?
Resolving conflicts starts with :
- Letting go of the desire to be right
- Accepting that you might and you probably are contributing to the problem
- Recognizing your part in the conflict
- Listening to the other person with a genuine desire to understand her/him.
- Not taking things personally and not defending yourself.
- Verifying any assumption you are making that might be increasing misunderstandings
- Choosing to value the relationship, the person over your strong desire to be right.
Counseling is often a wise step toward healthier and happier relationships.
Dr.Baya Mebarek, Psy.D.,LMFT