What are positive interactions?
They are found in
– Showing interest in what your partner is saying,
– Expressing affection to your partner both verbally (“I love you”) and nonverbally (holding hands, doing kind little things),
– Showing you care – perhaps by making a phone call during the day or bringing home flowers,
– Showing appreciation by remembering the good times in your relationship or telling your partner how proud you are of him or her,
– Indicating your concern – instead of acting defensive, show that you are concerned about your partner’s troubling experiences or apologize if you say something hurtful without thinking,
– Conveying empathy in your facial expression and verbal feedback – show that you truly care about what your partner is going through,
– Displaying acceptance of your partner’s thoughts and feelings – this shows your respect for your partner,
– Joking around, which includes playful teasing, laughing together, and maybe acting silly together, and
– Sharing your joy when good things happen.
Dr. Baya Mebarek, Psy.D.,LMFT
San Diego Couples and Family Therapy provides counseling in the convenient area of Sorrento Valley Road.
We also serve the surrounding areas of La Jolla, UTC San Diego, Del Mar, University City, Rancho Santa Fe, Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Penasquitos, Poway and Escondido.